In 1882, Jacob and Fritz Beringer had purchased a winery, but they only had 20 acres of Mission grapes, a grape variety unsuitable for quality wine. Grapes were in short supply so the two German brothers bought a 150 acre parcel just below La Perla. They terraced 70 acres of vineyard, in and around stands of redwoods, and they planted 30 vineyard blocks with 15 different grape varieties. These early plantings included superior grapes such as Mourvedre, Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, Charbono and Pinot Noir, as well as some losers like Burger, Palamino, and Lenoire.
The Beringers soon became good friends with their Spanish speaking neighbor, Tiburcio Parrott, who called the two German brothers, "los hermanos." The humor of these two Germans with a Spanish nickname was not lost on the locals and the name stuck. Eventually Beringer came out with the Los Hermanos brand of wine.
This majestic vineyard has also been continuously farmed since its first planting and its vineyard blocks and terraces remain as they were a hundred years earlier.